Cranbrook: Unity in Architecture, Education, and Art
Between 1918 and 1942, Cranbrook’s founders and philanthropists, newspaper publishers George and Ellen Booth, transformed their personal estate into a center of learning. Establishing an elementary school, preparatory schools for girls and boys, a graduate Academy of Art, an art museum, a science institute, and an Episcopal church, the Booth’s vision was expansive. Inspired by the English Arts and Crafts Movement, Cranbrook’s buildings and grounds demonstrate a quality of craftsmanship and materials unrivaled in America.
Cranbrook’s curator, Kevin Adkisson, takes us on a journey involving architect Eliel Saarinen and designer Loja Saarinen, and their children, Pipsan and Eero, who all collaborated to create a campus that is a total work of art. The Saarinens designed everything: buildings and fountains, textiles and furniture, silverware and graphics, and many of the family’s designs were executed in workshops on Cranbrook’s campus. (Image: Textiles, furniture, lighting, and architecture designed in collaboration between Eliel Saarinen, Loja Saarinen, and the craftsmen and women of Cranbrook Arts and Crafts Studios between 1928 and 1930. Photography by James Haefner, Courtesy Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research.)
Institution or Organization name - American Design and Arts Forum