Enjoy these virtual puzzles featuring photos from the Decorative Arts Trust’s programs. The digital puzzles begin at 54 pieces, but you can click the “waffle” (nine-square grid) icon to increase or decrease the number of pieces. Have fun!
Villandry Château and Gardens, France
The Château of Villandry is the last of the great chateaux built during the Renaissance in the Loire Valley. When Jean Le Breton acquired the Villandry estate, the building was a Medieval fortress. The defensive architecture was pared down, opened up and enhanced with elements of Renaissance décor. Decorative Arts Trust members visited the château and gardens during the From Château to Vineyard: The Lower Loire Valley Study Trip Abroad program in fall 2019.
Gwrych Castle, Wales
Gwrych Castle was erected between 1819 and 1825. In the mid-20th century, it was called “The Showpiece of Wales.” Members visited the Castle during the Discovering Wales and the Welsh Marches Study Trip Abroad program in spring 2019.
Fondouk El Nejjarine, Morocco
The Museum of Wood in Fes, Morocco, is housed in the Fondouk el-Nejjarine, an 18th-century trading post and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Members visited this site during the Morocco: Northern Africa Melds With the Mediterranean World Study Trip Abroad program in spring 2019.
The Municipal House (Obecní Dům) Ceiling, Prague
The splendid Obecní Dům (the Municipal House) is thought to be the finest piece of Art Nouveau architecture in Prague. The astounding interior includes Alfons Mucha’s Lord Mayor’s Hall that celebrates the heroic past of the Czech people. Members visited the building during the Prague & Vienna: Haute Design in Central Europe Study Trip Abroad program in fall 2018.
Palazzo della Ragione, Italy
The Palazzo della Ragione is a medieval market hall, town hall, and palace of justice building in Padua, Italy. Called “il Salone” (the big Hall), the structure is believed to be one of the largest medieval halls still extant. Decorative Arts Trust members visited Venice and the Veneto during the Fall 2017 Study Trip Abroad.
Located in Musselburgh, an eastern suburb of Edinburgh, Scotland, Newhailes was the home of the Dalrymples and their Ferguson descendants from 1709 until the National Trust acquired the property in 1997. The present structure contains a late-17th-century core designed by James Smith encased in additions by a variety of prominent 18th-century architects, most notably William Adam, who completed this double-height library and added a western extension around 1733. The Decorative Arts Trust toured Newhailes during the Scotland: A Legacy of Cultural Achievement Study Trip Abroad in spring 2017.
Harewood House, Leeds, England
The Harewood House in Leeds, England, was built between 1759 and 1771 for Edwin Lascelles. Robert Adam designed this ceiling for the Gallery, the largest room in the house. The Decorative Arts Trust toured Harewood House during the Yorkshire in the Age of Chippendale Study Trip Abroad in fall 2016.
Church of St. Jacob, Małujowice, Poland
The Church of Saint Jacob the Apostle in the tiny village of Małujowice, Poland, is one of the best-preserved painted Gothic churches in Europe. The church’s wooden ceilings feature stenciled decoration incorporating both abstract and representational imagery, including fruits, flowers, and vegetation, as well as religious imagery. Decorative Arts Trust Members visited the church during the Poland: At the Confluence of European Cultures Study Trip Abroad in spring 2016.
Modica, Sicily, Italy
Modica is known for its Baroque buildings, like the Cathedral of St. George. Despite being ravaged by earthquakes in 1613 and 1693, and floods in 1833 and 1902, Modica has retained some of the most beautiful architecture in Sicily. The Decorative Arts Trust visited Modica during the Sicily: Crossroads of Mediterranean Civilizations Study Trip Abroad in fall 2015.
Luisium, Dessau-Roßlau, Germany
Luisium is a part of Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in eastern Germany. In 1774, work started on a small palace in the style of an English country house, which Leopold III, Duke of Anhalt-Dessau built for his wife Margravine Louise of Brandenburg-Schwedt, thus the name Luisium. Decorative Arts Trust members toured Dessau-Wörlitz during the spring 2015 Courtly Collections: Dresden, Leipzip, and Berlin Study Trip Abroad.
Learn more about our Study Trips Abroad and other programs on our Calendar of Events webpage.